After years of working on membership marketing campaigns for credit unions all over the country, I finally took some of our own advice and made the switch to a credit union a few weeks ago. All my accounts are at a credit union where I have direct deposit, online bill pay and a fee-less debit card (yeah!).
I’m enjoying my new FI, especially the online banking and bill pay. It truly offers more convenience and time-saving features than my big bank does.
But my life has been affected in other ways too, all of which are undoubtedly due to me being a credit union member. I thought I’d share a few of them with you. Since I joined my CU, the following has happened:
- I’ve saved $7.75 in debit card fees.
- My cable company generously offered me a free DVR.
- My daughter came home from college to visit me.
- I lost 3 pounds.
- AT&T gave me 1000 rollover minutes.
- I spent 3 fabulous days in Lake Tahoe, hiking, kayaking and picture-taking.
- I won $140 in a slot machine.
So the next time a prospective member asks why they should join your credit union, feel free to use me as an example. My life couldn’t be better. And I attribute it all to my credit union membership and my disassociation with big banks.